Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Yarn Stash That Shouldn't Be

Call my schizo, but for someone who hates the idea of a having a yarn stash, I just couldn't seem to keep from buying yarn this week. I have to blame it on the sales! Yea, that's right. I can blame it on the sales. The deep discounts is what did me in. Plus the little extra cash I had in my pockets that was itching me to death. Actually, it was more like a burning sensation right through my pockets. While I'm at it. Maybe now would be a good time to say that I also bought two books in addition to my Knit Simple magazine.


The Lily Chin book, Couture Crochet, I viewed sometime ago and passed on it because none of the patterns really caught my eye. I went back and got it this week because I thought it would be a great technique book to have in my library. She also has a section on making your own patterns which I would really like to learn how to do. I purchased this book at Borders on Thursday while killing time.

The second book I bought (today actually) is Amazing Crochet Lace by Doris Chan. I love love love lace knitting and I really love the way crochet lace looks. This book has great patterns and lots of great pictures. I'm really excited about making a few of the patterns.

I purchased this book at a LYS called The Knitter's Studio in Los Angeles. This is the first time I had been to this store and I was happy I went. It's a smaller storefront with a larger class area in the rear. They had really great yarns like Colinette, Rowan, and Debbie Bliss to name a few. I bought a couple of balls of Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk blend in a pretty lavender color and a ball of Rowan Felted Tweed in a pretty brown blend. I plan to make the "Truffle Clutch" with this yarn.


Late last week while enjoying the great spring sun and moderate temperature I visited another first-time LYS called "Liscat." This store is great! When I walked in and met Katrina (owner) I felt right at home. She is very lively and sweet and extremely talented in both knit and crochet. Her store is full of great yarns with a great selection of different fibers as well as lots and lots of creations she's made herself. I liked her store so much I took a friend back 2 days later and if I would have had time I would have stopped back by today to buy more yarn. She's having a great 50% off sale in preparation for her new inventory and her move to a new 2,100 sq ft space at the end of April. Can you even visualize a yarn store that large? Oh, it's going to be hell for me. I don't need to look at that much yarn at one time, especially when I can't afford to buy a whole bunch at once. Extra cash is not a regular occurence in these parts.

At Liscat I spied this great airy shrug that I wanted to make. Katrina generously gave me a copy of the pattern, Kid Merino Lacy Shrug, from Crystal Palace and helped me select a good yarn for it. She stressed that it was one of those patterns that could be made with practically any yarn. I chose 4 balls of Sandnes Soft Mohair and Garn Muskat. I've been knitting it up ever since. Below are pics of the yarn and what the pattern looked like when I started.

Lastly, I also bought yarn from Wild Skein on eBay. When that arrives in the mail I will most definately post pics. This week I also plan to post pics of some felted purses I've finished as well as the great Henna treatment I did to my hair. I'll keep you all posted.


Kamika

3 comments:

Judy said...

Hi Kamika, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Online Magazines are in English, with a few British expressions thrown in there! For example, instead of saying "skip a stitch", they used "miss". If you bought this magazine, I think you could interpret it just fine. Ach du lieber! Du sprechts Deutsch!? I went to high school in Germany for 3 years b/c my father was in the Air Force. How did you learn?

Donna said...

I'm hoping I'm doing this correctly this time, I tried to contact you before, but I obviously did something wrong and my comment never published on your blog (which I love by the way!). I will be happy to sell you any of my patterns you were interested in. I just need your email address. Send it to MsSunflwr@yahoo.com and I'll get an invoice ready.

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your interest in my patterns. I'll eventually get them listed on my blog, but I'm not all that computer savy yet.

MrsPurls said...

Hey Lady!! I've enjoyed reading your blog....keep it up! Keep working the hair...its definately fly...