Friday, April 6, 2007

Beautiful Words

I was checking my Fotki hair album today and noticed that a friend had left some kind words about my hair in my comments section. As I went back to hers tp give thanks, I noticed that she had just recently started to blog and so I checked it out. The premise behind her blog is intriguing. In short it's about doing good things for our fellow man and giving of our time and strength to worthy causes to benefit others and in turn ourselves. In Caymanian's (Teri's) words:

...I want to challenge you (and myself) to act on your thoughts - thoughts geared toward helping individuals in need. It doesn't matter who it is (a neighbor, the homeless woman outside your office, the co-worker you can't stand, the malnourished family across the ocean) act on the thought you had about him/her.

I thought this was both noble and inspiring. We need to do more things to help others. We need to step out of our routines and comfort zones and reconnect with our fellow man, our neighbors, and those we pass on the streets. We don't have to do much more than be observant, provide kind words or maybe a meal, small monetary assistance, a prayer, smile, or maybe just a listening ear. These little things go a long way. I invite those of you who are interested to visit her blog at Thinking and Being.

Another thing I found on her blog was this great word Quixotic. I love how it flows off my tongue. I really enjoy etymology, which is the study of the meaning of words, their origins and how they are sounded. Quixotic is a very sensual and tickley sounding word that makes you want to whisper the last two syllables while daydreaming with a big grin on your face. I thought it would be nice to share it with you:

Quixotic:
extravagantly chivalrous or foolishly idealistic; visionary, impractical" or " caught up in the romance of noble deeds and the pursuit of unreachable goals; idealistic without regard to practicality; capricious; impulsive
Sometimes we need to get off the speeding train that is our life and be more quixotic. Say it with me: q-u-i-x-o-t-i-c. Quixotic indeed!

Kamika

No comments: