Thursday, August 23, 2007

Summer Pain

Tis what it tis... I've been away from blogland. No not really, I've just been away from my blog flat and have been laying on the couch of some other great bloggers through my Google Reader. So much has been going on here at The Motel but nothing actually here on the premises to pique your interest. Everything has been happening either off site, or in my mind.

I've been knitting and languishing, hitting the treadmill, and languishing. Sweating like a greek in the sauna that is my bedroom waging war on the damned ants! The California heat this August is not much different than in previous years, I just can't get to a room that doesn't have wood paneling and be able to layout in my underoos at the same time. And the ants! Oh the horrible ants are taking damn over! We've had so many ants that I think immigration laws are in order.

The ants are coming out of every crack and crevice here at The Motel. They're not even looking for food but have attacked my water! Water! What sound-minded bug runs to the water? I know it's dry outside and we didn't get much rain this past winter but dang! They ain't gonna be saved running to the water. No salvation for ants.

On the knitting front I have been miserable. The worsted weight silk blend I was using to make Notorious just didn't feel good in my hands. I think it was entirely too thick for the top. With a little research I learned that it would thin out after handwashing and blocking, but I didn't want to take that chance. Secondly as you can see from the photos, I made great headway on my Anthro Redux project but unfortunately I had to quit quick fast and in a hurry. I broke out in a rash all over my neck and parts of my face and hands. Why? Because I have wool sensitivities and the wool fibers mixed with the sweat I made from the hot temps didn't mix well. My neck got bumpy and two shades darker (TMI? sorry but I'll save you the pictures). I had to cover those areas with vaseline and shea butter to stop itching and to soothe the burning of my skin. I don't think there was anything wrong with the actual yarn as a milder version of this has happened before when I was wearing a wool hat-- pure wool and I just don't mix. I was chancing it working with the Berocco Ultra Alpaca but I had no problems with it.

The ultimate solution for my wool rash was to bag up those skeins and start all over with some Lion Brand Wool-Ease which is an acrylic and wool blend. It was a great alternative and I was able to get it in one of the hottest colors of the season, grey. My goal is to have the mock up finished by this weekend. From there I plan to use the design elements and confidence I've gained from taking this leap on actually designing and creating my own garments. I have so many ideas in my head. BTW, thanks for all the sweet compliments on my previous posts and on Ravelry. I so appreciate it!


Kamika

2 comments:

Christie said...

OHMYGOSH! Don't hate me! I still have to send your mag to you! I would have last weekend, but the wedding got in my way. This weekend, promise! And since you're in LA it should just be a day or so.

You are making some progress...that sucks about the wool. I hope the rash clears up quickly!

jacqui said...

Hi Kamika, Sorry to hear about your problems with wool. Hopefully the rash has cleared up by now. Thanks for the link to Notorious - I am printing it out right now, it's so cute. Hopefully the weather will ease soon - we are having our first taste of Spring here in Melbourne and I have to say, I can't get enough of the sunshine!