Saturday, November 1, 2008

Grown Folks At Play

I love it when grown folks can humble themselves and play like kids. Seeing them so intensely focused on an arts and crafts project just lifts my spirits. I think that's why I love the the crafty community. We are forever creating with wide-eyed excitement just like kids.

Some of you may remember how not to long ago I was really down about my current work state; a mix of boredom and anger. I was seriously considering getting a new job and leaving these folks behind. Well wisdom pervailed. I decided to stay and not look to be served by my company but to serve them more. Sometimes our expectations from a company (and by extension it's employees) are too high. Just like a love relationship, we expect them to fulfill certain needs they're not designed to fill (i.e. self fullfillment, affirmation, acceptance), change who they are (change the company culture to suit self), allow you to control them (accepting only your ideas as sound), and be like the boyfriend before (have the same programs/fringe benefits we loved from the previous company). It doesn't work in a love relationship and it most definately will not work at work. Somebody has to change. I choose me! Hopefully others will be so inspired to serve more as well.

I joined the new Morale Committee at work. We're responsible for, well, lifting the morale of our department. We put on events to foster teamwork and the cohesiveness amongst the various groups that make up our department. Our first event was Halloween. Eventhough I don't celebrate it, it didn't hinder me from helping to oversee the festivities to lift the morale of the team. We had a costume contest, candied apples, and a pumpkin decorating contest. Check out how creative we all got, without carving! Grown folks at play!





Kamika smug cause our pumpkin won!

1 comment:

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

im a big kid at heart and pumkins reminds me of the carvingg parties my grandma had every year b4 she died