Friday, April 10, 2009

Colored Me: FOTD Nude Look

Friday already! Time for another beauty post. FOTD (Face Of The Day) is my nearly Nude Look. Enjoy the video and product descriptions below.



I don't wear foundation often (usually only on reallllllllly special occasions) I prefer to wear loose powder and primer.

Base -

Smashbox Photofinish Primer (Clear) - Helps to reduce fine lines and pores, and provides for a smooth matte finish under your makeup while at the same time diffusing light around your face to minimize imperfections. Because it is oil free it absorbs oil from your face. You can wear this alone or under foundation or loose powder. Lasts all day.




MAC Studiofinish Concealer (NW45) - Applied to any areas of discoloration, blemishes, bags, etc. I prefer MAC's potted concealer because it lasts longer and is not runny, meaning it will stay where I put it, and it provides excellent coverage and blend ability. I also use this as my under eyeshadow primer. You could use Urban Decay's Eyeshadow Primer Potion but I prefer my concealer instead. I put this on with a brush before I put on other makeup. You could also use your fingers. A little goes a long way.



Iman Second-to-None Semi-Loose Powder (Clay-Medium-Dark) - Evens skin tone, reduces shine, gives skin a silky look. It settles into the skin providing an even and natural look. Apply this with a Kabuki brush or dense bristled blush. You can also wear this over foundation if you prefer. This lasts all day over your primer but if need be can be easily touched up.






Color -

Blush:

Don't skimp on the blush ladies! The blush is where it's at! More than eyeshadow or even lipstick, a well rouged cheek can change your look for the better. Remember to always stick to colors that match your undertone (cool or warm). In this video I'm using Iman's Luxury Blushing Powder in "Allure" which is duo-toned to provide subtle contouring.

Highlight:

Laura Geller Blush (Golden Apricot) - This [highlight] can be your bronzer, your translucent powder, your blush, highlighter pen, etc. Highlighting does just that, highlights certain facial features. I put this blush over my other blush on the areas where natural light hits to give my face a subtle glow and to catch light on my cheekbones. Try MAC Minerlize Skinfinishes, or even a Rimmel bronzer.




Eyes:

Lid - MAC (Bronze)
Crease - MAC (Corduroy)
Browbone/Arch -MAC (Arena)
Eyeliner - MAC (Chestnut) didn't mention on the video

Try to always use a natural color that resembles your Browbone unless you're going for a really dramatic effect otherwise you could look really harsh.

Liner:

MAC Eyeliner (Chestnut) - a quick tip, putting on your liner before your eyeshadow and smudging deepens the color of your eyeshadow and for smokey looks, it enhances the smoke. I only line the top during the day but all over at night.

Mascara:

DiorShow Waterproof (Jet Black) - this mascara really does lengthen, thicken, and curve my lashes. Never runs when I'm crying. A really excellent inexpensive version is Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express ($7). During the day to keep my look less dramatic I only apply black mascara to my top lashes. I either leave my bottom lashes alone or apply a lighter color like Loreal Bare Naturale (Black Brown) to soften my look but extend my bottom lashes. For an evening out, I put on two coats of my blackest black mascara on both the top and the bottom.




Lips: Apply Vaseline or lip conditioner first.

MAC Liner (Chestnut) - line and rub your lips together to spread. Apply color and reline if necessary.

MAC Lipstick (Chelsea) - wear with or without liner. Great nude color for pecan-colored girls!

Finish -


Spray a little MAC Fix+ into the air and walk under it. Helps to set makeup for the entire day. Use under or over makeup.







Most of these products you can pickup at Sephora, Ulta, MAC, and maybe even your local drugstore. Enjoy!



Kamika all dolled up

5 comments:

Memeeflye said...

Thank you for introducing me to Mali Music.

SmartAndThrifty.com said...

Thanks for the makeup tips. Have you ever heard of Healthy Choices Natural Market http://www.HCNmarket.com they have wonderful healthy 100% natural products for hair, skin & health and sell at steep discount prices of 40% off. I noticed you hair looks natural...very beautiful. I live their Locs Coils Waves & Curls Moisture Rich Styling Souffle and their Butterlicious Hair & Body Creme. I look forward to reading more of your blog entries. Have a good Easter Holiday!

Harlem Purl said...

I thought I had commented on this post but I must've forgot. Thanks for the tips, I've already begun my makeup journey via Sephora. I went and picked up a Smashbox complexion perfection kit and had one of the saleswomen help me out with the application. It also came with a DVD which was cool. I also picked up the book Making Faces by Kevyn Aucion which has really helped.

buttahflychronicles said...

Loved it!!!!!!!! Very informative, and that music was... Gotta run out and get it now!

I want that apricot bronzer too.

yellowbaby said...

I LOVE your videos and your makeup advice..... I just turned 21 and Im going natural and re-inventing myself. Keep up the good work!